Annex A – Funding Guidelinest
General Activities Eligible for Funding
Perbadanan Kota Buku grant budget is limited and priority will be given to:
- Projects that propose innovative publicity and / or marketing plans to reach new audiences / markets.
- Projects that have a potentially strong impact in the local and/or international literary scene.
- Projects that can enhance and inject new dynamism into the existing arts scene.
- Publication of works by new writers.
Titles Eligible For Funding
Only titles by writers published in Malaysia in the following genres are eligible for the grant:
- Literary fiction
- Plays (note that only previously staged plays are eligible)
- Creative / Literary Non-Fiction (including literary biographies, essays on ideas, society, culture and the arts, etc.)
- Children’s Literature
- Anthologies of literature
- Reprints of significant work (i.e. publishing projects that maintain the availability of contemporary works of high literary merit that would otherwise be lost)
- Critical Writing on the Arts (including critical prose on the literary arts)
- Graphic Novels
- General non-fiction
Activities Not Funded
While distributing Malaysian works is a key factor in funding decisions, consideration is also given to whether the work would bring about negative influences. As a government-funded agency, Perbadanan Kota Buku is obliged to prioritise financial support away from artistic projects which:
- Erode the core moral values of society, including, but not limited to the promotion of permissive lifestyles and depictions of obscenity or graphic sexual conduct;
- Denigrate or debase a person, group or class of individuals on the basis of race or religion, or serve to create conflict or misunderstanding in our multicultural and multi-religious society;
- Disparage or demean government bodies, public institutions or national leaders, and/or subvert the nation’s security or stability.
There are many activities that are beyond the scope of the Perbadanan Kota Buku’s funding, regardless of their merit. Perbadanan Kota Buku will not accept applications for the following titles:
- Academic, scholarly or assessment texts targeting the education market.
- Calendars and almanacs.
- Colouring and activity books.
- Trivia and quiz books.
- Religious testimonials.
- Collections of specialised conference papers, unless they make a significant contribution to the arts.
- Catalogues of visual art exhibitions.
- Books containing prominently displayed advertising and promotional material and corporate logos.
- Books with minimal or limited text (e.g. photographic compilations, etc).
If you are not sure as to whether your proposed project is eligible for Perbadanan Kota Buku’s funding, please speak to one of our Grant officers before applying or write your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org