Section I – General Information
- To raise the profile of Malaysian authors and publishers and to widen access to their work both locally and overseas.
- To provide financial assistance to:
- Foreign publishers who wish to translate original Malaysian literary works and creative content for publication and promotion overseas.
- Translators (both Malaysian or foreign) who wish to translate Malaysian-published literary works and critical writing targeted for publication and promotion overseas.
Who May Apply
Applicants must be one of the following:
- Writer - To be eligible for this grant, the writer must:
- Be published by a Malaysian publishing company or self-published within Malaysia.
- Write in any of the official languages recognised in Malaysia (i.e. Malay, English, Chinese, Tamil, Punjabi, Sabah and Sarawak ethnical languages, etc).
- If not yet published, will undertake to either self-publish the work or engage full-service publisher (the publisher must meet the criteria stated in (d) below).
- Translator - To be eligible for this grant, the translator must:
- Be translating Malaysian-authored or Malaysian-published literary work.
- Be a recognised professional translator or have had a least one literary translation published by a recognised publisher.
- Choose to publish with a full-service publisher and the publisher must meet the criteria stated below.
- Publisher - To be eligible for this grant, the publisher must:
- Be publishing and/or translating a Malaysian-authored or Malaysian-published literary work.
- Have book publishing as its primary, and not peripheral or occasional activity.
- Be committed to a sustained trade book publishing programme consisting of books by a variety of authors.
- Have books commercially available for sale, with effective national and preferably international distribution systems.
- Have a record of fulfilling all its contractual obligations to writers, illustrators, translators and other copyright licensors.
Eligible titles are those that:
- The first edition (at least) must be published and printed within Malaysia.
- Are published in print (with a full-service publisher):
- Have at least 48 printed pages (or 24 printed pages for Children’s Literature texts).
- Have a print run of at least 300 copies for fiction and 200 for poetry / plays / literary non-fiction.
- Have been written (originally) in any of the official languages recognised in Malaysia (i.e. Malay, English, Chinese, Tamil, Punjabi, Sabah and Sarawak ethnical languages, etc). However, translated editions of the text can be in any language.
- Acknowledge the support of Perbadanan Kota Buku.
Who May Not Apply
- Student groups formed under the auspices of schools and tertiary institutions.
- Projects that have already published at the time of application.
- Publications already supported by one Publishing Grant (even if the previously approved grant was submitted by another individual / entity).
- Applicants who have not submitted feedback and / or evaluation reports on the use of any previous grants given by Perbadanan Kota Buku.
- Writers seeking funding to translate their own work.
- Subsequent editions / re-translations of a work into the same language (i.e. if a work has already been translated and published in a particular language, whether in Malaysia or overseas) will receive a lower priority.
Eligible applications are assessed on the following criteria:
(A) Sound Project Management (i.e. use of resources)
• Sound financial planning
• Effective use of resources
• Reach out to proposed target audiences
(B) Past Achievements / Track Record of the Writer / Organisation / Translator / Publisher
• Reliable and consistent performance
• Commitment to promote Malaysian literary arts
• Record of high quality works
Please refer to Annex A for activities not funded.
The nature and scope of the project as well as the availability of funds will determine the grant quantum.
The grant amount will be based on a reasonable estimate with the maximum amount of USD 2,500 per title.
There is no limit to the number of Translation Grant applications a writer / organisation / translator / publisher can submit.
Typically, grants will be disbursed as follows:
|50% upon the completion of the translation works
||50% upon submission of the translated book published